Friday, August 3, 2012

Say Hello to Heaven

As most of you already know , Grandpa Dougan went to heaven July 5th to be with Grandma.  We are very sad to see him go but know he is not suffering anymore and is with the love of his life watching over us. Now, I say suffering because I would think that having your body go through its final stages would have to have some suffering involved.  But as family and friends well know Grandpa would never let us know if he was suffering.  That is one thing that stands out to me when I think back on my Grandpa.  Here is a man on his final path on earth and he has no complaints.  I would go visit him in the hospital and ask him how he was doing and he would say as good as can be.  He always told me how the staff was taking such great care of him and when he had to wait for a good while to get service he would tell me they are are busy people and that is just how it is.  Patience is a virtue.  This is one of many lessons that he taught me.  One of the wonderful things about my Grandfather was that he did not always have to use that deep rich voice to teach you a life lesson. He always lead by example. When I think of what a Man is or should be there is only two words out of millions of examples and definitions that come to my mind- Grandpa Dougan. The day we laid Grandpa to rest was a wonderful and sad day.  Mr. Boeke, my aunts, uncles and my mother gave him one last party that only he was worthy of.  My cousins and I got the distinct honor of being pallbearers.  Walking out of the church with them to the Scottish bagpipes and the honor guard creating a path for us was one of the coolest and most emotional moments of my life.  I'm not sure what the final count of guests that came in those two days was but it was awesome to see and hear how special my Grandfather was to so many people. I know with all my heart that my grandfather had one of the biggest hearts and that he will be in our hearts forever.  I'll never forget the smiles on everyone's faces when we would stop in and see him and all the memories of being with him and Grandma at our family Christmas's.  I'll share one last memory that makes me chuckle.  I'm not sure how old I was but I'm thinking around 10ish.  I had just been in a bad car accident with my mom and siblings. We had rolled Mom's car three times in the ditch and corn field off a gravel road. G&G Dougan were taking me to Bible Camp in Story City when I started freaking out. For the longest time after our accident it felt like when I was in a car that the car was fishtaleling and was going to go into the ditch. I don't remember what I said but, I remember my Grandma telling my Grandpa to slow down. Knowing my Grandpa he was probably doing 55 but he drove the rest of the way at 35 mile an hour. Just one of many kind things I remember of the man I inspire to be. Love ya Grandpa!



Grandpa celebrating his 90th.
This was one of  Grandpa's favorite pictures and stories.
My favorite picture- Grandpa & Bug @ Kade's 13th B-day.
Couldn't pass up a photo opt. 
Grandpa checking out his "little package". That was his name for Alexandria.
Can you say LOVE.
Sis would not leave PaPa's flower alone.
Fives........
Kisses........
and hugs goodbye. Can't miss that smile either!!!!
X-mas time was always a wonderful time with Grandpa.
The GRAND MARSHALL. Could have been the mayor if he wanted to.
I can't believe I have the coolest Great Grandpa in the world!!!
What a wonderful day!!!!! Can't tell that I was proud to have my Grandfather by my side can ya?
Confirmation with my Grandparents.
Graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment